Read this story and note that the “Senate” referred to in it is the Virginia State Senate, not the U. S. Senate:
I remember many years ago seeing the comic strip Mallard Fillmore in my local newspaper, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Mallard Fillmore is a comic strip written and illustrated by Bruce Tinsley that has been syndicated by King Features Syndicate since June 6, 1994. The strip follows the exploits of its title character, an anthropomorphic green-plumaged duck who works as a politically conservative reporter at fictional television station WFDR in Washington, D.C. Mallard’s name is a pun on the name of the 13th president of the United States, Millard Fillmore.
I guess I should have paid better attention to it, because…..
Mallard yearns for the “good old days,” and views himself as a victimized underdog in a world that is being overrun with political correctness, religious secularism, and hypocrisy. He is often in a state of outrage over the news item of the day, usually involving liberals.
Mallard’s politics are very close to, if not one and the same as, cartoonist Bruce Tinsley’s; Tinsley told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that “Mallard really is about as close to me as you can get,” in an October 2005 interview.
Other characters from the strip:
- Mr. Noseworthy is Mallard’s boss at WFDR. He is a parody of political correctness in America, afraid of offending anyone or anything. He is also a parody of the mainstream media, which is portrayed in the strip as having a liberal bias. Noseworthy’s catchphrase is, “If you’d gone to journalism school, you’d know this stuff.” He has a daughter in college who “came out” as a conservative.
- Chet is a co-worker of Mallard’s at WFDR. He is an arrogant, vain, superficial, Botox-injecting, clothes-obsessed Caucasian male. In a series of strips in late 2003, he discovered he is a “metrosexual.”
- Chantel, an African-American woman reporter, is a co-worker of Mallard’s at WFDR. She is described as “smart, aggressive, and liberal.” Unlike most liberals depicted in “Mallard Fillmore,” she is presented as an intelligent, competent person. She is usually used whenever a scene calls for a minority or a minority perspective – although she is offended when her colleagues assume she speaks on behalf of all African-Americans. On average, she appears about once or twice a year.
- Dave Quat, a conservative Vietnamese man, is Mallard’s best friend, who generally agrees with Mallard’s politics. He is the owner of his own diner, aptly named “Dave’s Diner.” His wife has never been seen.
- Rush Quat is Dave’s young son. Rush is in the fourth grade and hopes to someday become a professional basketball player; he sometimes plays basketball with Mallard. Unlike most of the kids in his class, he does not take Ritalin.
- Eddie is Mallard’s pet fish. Unlike Mallard, he does not speak but only comments in thought balloons.
- Congressman Pinkford Veneer is a fictional Washington, D.C. Democratic Congressman. He is a spineless, hypocritical, out-of-touch politician who enjoys tax hikes and opposes school vouchers, even though he sends his own children to a private school. In April 2000, he authored a bill that would require criminals to “give their victims a 30-second waiting period to unlock their trigger-locks” on their guns.
- OSHA-Boy is a guardian of workplace safety and safe working conditions who is authorized to “annoy virtually anyone suspected of violating a regulation.” He appears to be a flying, glasses-wearing dwarf (or other creature) with a superhero-like costume, and a clipboard in hand. He appears to be a physical manifestation of OSHA.
- Dr. Dilton Twinkley, an education expert, often appears as a guest on WFDR to talk about education issues. He appears to be an exaggerated parody of the NEA and U.S. public school system officials.
- Larry, a co-worker of Mallard’s who gets agitated whenever Mallard does not purchase candy from his son for his school’s annual fundraisers.
- Mr. or Ms. P.C. Person, a superhero-like physical manifestation of political correctness who prides hirself on being gender-neutral.(This character has come under fire from transgender rights groups because they felt the character promoted bigotry and mockery of transgender individuals.)
I wanted to learn more about the strip’s creator, so I went to:
And then read THIS:
In 2006, Tinsley was arrested twice for driving while intoxicated, once in August and again in December, both Class A misdemeanors. After the December incident, he attacked the sentencing judge, Roderick McGillivray, in several of his comics.
And he’s a conservative? Shouldn’t he be a supporter of law enforcement and not a drunk trying to justify himself even if he screws up?
Clearly, his strip shouldn’t be running in newspapers if those incidents are true!
Read this story:
Brexit: MPs back Boris Johnson’s bill
MPs have backed the Prime Minister’s plan for the UK to leave the European Union on 31 January.
They voted 358 to 234 in favour of something called the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, that’s a majority of 124.
Boris Johnson said the bill will allow the UK to “move forward”.Getty Images
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn told his MPs to vote against the deal, he said there was a “better and fairer way” to leave the EU.
It had been expected that the bill would pass, because the Conservative Party won an 80-seat majority in the general election.
The bill will be discussed again in January after MPs come back after the Christmas break. The details will be looked at at the Committee stage and any proposed changes will be decided on.
The final stage of the bill in the Commons will then take place on Thursday, 9 January, before it heads to the Lords for approval.
Only then can it be made into law.
In a previous blog entry, I pointed out the hypocrisy of English nationalists wanting to leave the EU.
Ironically, the overwhelming majority of the people in Scotland voted AGAINST Brexit. Wouldn’t it be fitting if the UK did leave the EU only to have Scotland revolt and leave the UK? What goes around comes around!
Because of this, Prime Minister Johnson does NOT have an actual mandate for Brexit; he would only have that if BOTH English and Scottish majorities have voted for it.
If Johnson pushes ahead with his obsession with brexit next year, it is certain that the Scots will revolt and leave the United Kingdom, causing it to dissolve. The Scots have fought for their independence before.
The First War (1296–1328) began with the English invasion of Scotland in 1296, and ended with the signing of the Treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton in 1328. The Second War (1332–1357) began with the English-supported invasion by Edward Balliol and the ‘Disinherited’ in 1332, and ended in 1357 with the signing of the Treaty of Berwick. The wars were part of a great crisis for Scotland and the period became one of the most defining times in its history. At the end of both wars, Scotland retained its status as an independent state. The wars were important for other reasons, such as the emergence of the longbow as a key weapon in medieval warfare.
Obviously, Boris Johnson flunked history courses in school!
For over a century, the leadership of the Baha’i community has sought to make their religion a world one and not just one centered on the Middle East and people of Persian/Shiite descent. Yet because the Faith was founded by such people, they tended to be a privileged class in Baha’i communities around the world. Now, however, not so much. It seem ironic that Baha’is taking the anti-racist teachings to heart are now causing problems for some Persian Baha’is.
Read this first: https://weeklysift.com/2012/09/10/the-distress-of-the-privileged/
As the culture evolves, people who benefitted from the old ways invariably see themselves as victims of change. The world used to fit them like a glove, but it no longer does. Increasingly, they find themselves in unfamiliar situations that feel unfair or even unsafe. Their concerns used to take center stage, but now they must compete with the formerly invisible concerns of others.
Now read this:
Mr. Kenneth E. Bowers
National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá’ís of the United States
I have just read your letter/warnings regarding the activities of one Ms. Bahareh Moghaddam, who you feel is trying to deceive and misguide the Baha’is of Iranian descent by sowing the ‘seeds of discord’. Well, you may or may not be right in your analysis, but as a sincere and third generation Baha’i, I wish to mention that before breaking into pen please follow the principle that Ignorance sometimes is a Bliss (i.e you could have ignored her). Now I am sure many Baha’is will take a chance to connect themselves with the ‘misguided soul’.
Having given my advice to you regarding the Enemies of Faith, I have some very rough and tough questions to ask. You may forward it to Beloved Universal House of Justice for its explanation.
We, Persian Baha’is are concluding that PERSECUTION is something which is destined to us. We face persecution in the country where we pioneer, we face persecution in our own country and now we are facing persecution in our own Faith by fellow Baha’is.
Dear Secretary, we see a very systematic persecution of Persian Baha’is in the Baha’i Administration. It looks like there is systematic cleansing of Persian Baha’is from the Baha’i Administration.
The representation of the Persian Baha’is in the Universal House of Justice has gone down tremendously, and they are being replaced by unskilled, ignorant Baha’is.
The ITC has been cleansed of many Persian Baha’i except Muna Tehrani. The number of Persian Bahai’s as counsellors have come down drastically and the story is not different for the ABMs.
They were asked to leave their place of pioneer where they had established themselves, gained respect, involved themselves in Teaching of the Faith and then asked to settle in some other parts of the world. This is nothing but humiliation and harassment.
The case of Baha’i Scholar Mr. Ahang Rabbani has not been forgotten. After working for 15 years at the World Centre, he died Heart broken.
The way Mr. Ali Nakhjavani was hunted for his misunderstood statement resulting into ignorant Baha’is daring to ask him that why he gave such a statement?
A sincere Persian Baha’i in India was threatened by one of the members of UHJ that he should come in line with the UHJ or face severe consequences.
Jamshed Fozdar and Firoz Anarki were on the brink of being declared Covenant Breakers but some better reasoning prevailed on the UHJ and they stopped from doing such an atrocious act.
There are some misguided Baha’is who are making fake sites in the name of sincere Baha’is for defamation.
A Norwegian Baha’i sent to India made the life of Persian pioneer miserable in India. He was an arch enemy of Persian Baha’is.
Wife of a well-respected former counsellor wanted to attend a Baha’i programme but was refused permission. It was well evident that she was accused of being siding with Persian Baha’is.
The Late Mr. Hasan Sabri along with Isabella Sabri made fun of Persian Baha’is and use to call them KHAR (donkey) and used to say that Persian Baha’is are misguiding other Baha’is.
Many sincere Baha’is were asked not to enter any other countries else face consequences!
We see that if a non-Persian Counsellor retires from his post, he is immediately offered another post in his own country, but if the counsellor is a Persian, and that too a pioneer, never this opportunity of service had been offered to him or his experience used for promotion of the Faith.
A retired counsellor wanted to attend a conference in a foreign country at his own expense but was denied permission by the NSA of that country.
I don’t understand how just for expressing one’s feelings about injustice, is categorized as ‘sowing the seeds of discord’?
I can’t help but think these statements are gross exaggerations. What the writer calls “PERSECUTION” is merely non-Persian Baha’is demanding and getting equality with Persians in terms of social power within the Baha’i communities. If the Baha’i communities around the world have grown to the point that Persians are no longer the overwhelming majority, then the leadership of the Faith needs to reflect that reality. Persians need to stop expecting everything to be handed to them without merit. The Unitarian Universalist Association, a denomination with a white majority, faced a problem of racial justice among themselves in 2017 that forced them to change. If they can do it, so can Baha’is.
For over 300 years, the Roman Catholic Church only elected Italians to the Papacy. It wasn’t until 1978 that John Paul II, who was Polish, became Pope. Since then, it seems Italians have been shut out of becoming Pope, for the two others that have become Pope are also non-Italian (German and Argentinian). I wonder how Italians feel about that.
Jews founded Christianity, only to be excluded and persecuted by Christians later. That was not justice, but neither would have been keeping the Christian communities Jewish dominated, no matter their ethnic makeup. We should keep things balanced and fair for all.
You can either have a single ethnic/linguistic group dominate a religious community forever, or you can have a diverse community spreading around the world. It is wrong to expect both, ever.
On the afternoon of Friday, November 22, 2019, I got this message:
Your account has been suspended from Reddit for posting personal information. The suspension will last 3 day(s).
This is an automated message; responses will not be received by Reddit admins.
Watch this video:
Infomercials featuring techniques for “house-flipping” are often shown on TV late at night. I wonder if we should start protesting such crap. For my own view of “censorshit” on YouTube, see:
NOTE: That blog entry is now obsolete; YouTube no longer shuts down questionable videos due to copyright claims so quickly. Here’s hoping they won’t again.
Rebecca bashes another feminist for bullshitting:
Of course, opponents of feminism use such incidents to claim feminism itself is bullshit, so this fact checking is extremely important.
And can we PLEASE have fewer idiots and lunatics running for President of the United States? We already elected one such train wrecker in 2016!
Not to mention her condemnation of former friend Michael Shermer:
She also slams warped and bigoted religious crap:
It is incredible how much alike the two of us are. Could we be siblings?
One of the many things that makes me so proud to be a Unitarian Universalist and not an evangelical Christian is that UUs have no qualms about being open and honest about human sexuality, even when it comes to teaching children about it, especially girls.
Read this post: