The same idiotic impulses that drove American voters to elect Donald Trump to the Presidency seems to have fueled the vote last year in the United Kingdom over “Brexit”, the possible departure of the UK from the European Union. The EU was formed to promote free trade and end travel and residence restrictions between its members. Many British people hate the EU because it seemed to be a threat to British sovereignty. But just as the rights of INDIVIDUALS in the USA should be more important than that of its STATES (that’s what the American Civil War was all about), so should that same issue be in Europe! People matter, countries do not!
Some in Britain may have realized that and are making a backlash against that earlier vote. Read this story:
UK General Election: Political turmoil awaits after shock results
London (CNN) UK Prime Minister Theresa May’s future is looking uncertain after her election gamble appears to have backfired. The opposition Labour Party, led by Jeremy Corbyn, has performed far better than polls indicated and has cost May her majority in the UK Parliament.
Britain has been plunged into political chaos overnight.
- The ruling Conservative Party lost its majority, resulting in a hung parliament.
- With 646 of the 650 seats declared, the Conservatives have 315 and Labour has 261. See the full results here.
- PM Theresa May called the election to strengthen the Conservatives ahead of Brexit talks. That gamble failed, calling her future into question.
- The Conservatives will have to link up with other parties – most likely Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party — to form a majority.
- Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party has done far better than expected, but is unlikely to be able to form a coalition.
- Leading political figures including former Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond and former Deputy PM Nick Clegg lost their seats.
- The results could derail upcoming Brexit negotiations, which are due to start in just 10 days time.
- The pound fell sharply against the dollar, dropping about 2% as investors were spooked by the growing political uncertainty.
Theresa May favored Brexit and she is clearly a moron for taking so strongly a position that made her country look like a hotbed of bigotry.
Record number of female MPs
As well as being an astonishing election, it has also been a record breaking one with more than 200 women elected to Parliament, the highest number in history.
In 1918 only one of the 707 Members of Parliament (MPs) elected was a woman. That was Sinn Feinn’s Constance Markievicz, who did not take up her seat.
For the curious, Nancy Astor was the first woman to take up a seat at Westminster after winning a by-election in 1919.
In 2012, 145 out of 650 MPs were female, while in 2015 a then record number of 196 women were elected in the general election and subsequent by-elections.
Britain also elected its first female Sikh MP Thursday when Labour’s Preet Kaur Gill won the Birmingham Edgbaston seat.
Women tend to be more liberal/progressive than men, so this shows the actual trend in British politics. But that one woman that is the current Prime Minister has got to go!
Ironically, the overwhelming majority of the people in Scotland voted AGAINST Brexit. Wouldn’t it be ironic if the UK did leave the EU only to have Scotland revolt and leave the UK? What goes around comes around!