The Irish people must abandon Catholicism!

It is painful for me to proclaim that, despite being a non-theist who was never a Catholic. I know all too well how deeply embedded Catholicism is in the spirit of Ireland; a major theme of past Irish rebellion against English domination was the British being Protestant and the Irish being Catholic. Without the support of the Catholic Church, Ireland might never have won its political freedom. But now the time has come for the Irish people to seek their spiritual freedom as well, and so they must throw off the Catholic dogmas and institutions too!

Why? Because of this report:

Vatican warned Irish bishops not to report abuse

DUBLIN – A 1997 letter from the Vatican warned Ireland’s Catholic bishops not to report all suspected child-abuse cases to police — a disclosure that victims’ groups described as “the smoking gun” needed to show that the church enforced a worldwide culture of covering up crimes by pedophile priests.

The newly revealed letter, obtained by Irish broadcasters RTE and provided to The Associated Press, documents the Vatican’s rejection of a 1996 Irish church initiative to begin helping police identify pedophile priests following Ireland’s first wave of publicly disclosed lawsuits.

The letter undermines persistent Vatican claims, particularly when seeking to defend itself in U.S. lawsuits, that Rome never instructed local bishops to withhold evidence or suspicion of crimes from police. It instead emphasizes the church’s right to handle all child-abuse allegations and determine punishments in house rather than give that power to civil authorities.

Signed by the late Archbishop Luciano Storero, Pope John Paul II’s diplomat to Ireland, the letter instructs Irish bishops that their new policy of making the reporting of suspected crimes mandatory “gives rise to serious reservations of both a moral and canonical nature.”

Storero wrote that canon law, which required abuse allegations and punishments to be handled within the church, “must be meticulously followed.” Any bishops who tried to impose punishments outside the confines of canon law would face the “highly embarrassing” position of having their actions overturned on appeal in Rome, he wrote.

Catholic officials in Ireland and the Vatican declined AP requests to comment on the letter, which RTE said it received from an Irish bishop.

Child-abuse activists in Ireland said the 1997 letter demonstrates that the protection of pedophile priests from criminal investigation was not only sanctioned by Vatican leaders but ordered by them.

WTF?! If I were an Irish father of small children, I would NEVER let them set foot in a Catholic church after this revelation!

So even when Pope John Paul II, a man I once respected, was alive and ruling the Catholic Church, it was harboring perverted criminals!

Maybe, if the Irish want to keep the spirit of rebellion against British domination alive (they share that with Americans, of course), they should convert en masse to some other religion(s) that reject the teachings of Anglicanism or anything related to it. How about Unitarian Universalism? Or Judaism? Maybe even Islam? Almost ANYTHING else would be better now than Roman Catholicism!

In addition, I’d very much like to see Italy revoke the sovereignty of  Vatican City. Then most of the people that work there, including the current Pope himself, should be arrested by the Italian police on conspiracy charges!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “The Irish people must abandon Catholicism!

1. These comments at Pharyngula, the blog by P Z Myers, say it all!

{{{Posted by: Tigger_the_Wing | January 18, 2011 7:57 PM

I hereby apologise for all the times I defended Roman Catholicism.

Being ignorant, at the time, of the endemic evil is no excuse, as I’m sure there were ways I could have become informed; but I chose to believe that the Church was always right, and its detractors were liars.

Given that it is no longer possible plausibly even to feign ignorance, let alone be genuinely unaware of the evils perpetrated and enabled by the hierarchy, I hope that there will soon be many millions more ex-Catholics like me, utterly disgusted that they were ever a part of the congregation willingly taken in by the RCC.}}}

{{{Posted by: steve | January 18, 2011 8:06 PM

@Tigger_the_Wing

Good on you for being willing to change your mind in the face of new evidence.

I wouldn’t worry about the past too much, if you went through the same sort of catholic indoctrination that I did you are doing well that you can shake it off at all.

This is exactly what it will take to stop this evil.}}}

{{{Posted by: Tigger_the_Wing | January 18, 2011 8:20 PM

@ Steve,

Thank you.

I was very deeply into it as a child and teenager. I even qualified as a catechist, although I never actually indoctrinated anyone. I was always hopeless at relating to normal people.

I’m actually sorry that I was ashamed for gradually slipping away from attendance (despite very good reasons, I felt guilty that I failed to attend mass as often as I should) and that I took until middle-age to take the blinkers off.

However I am glad, now, that I didn’t insist that any of my five children become practising Catholics, although I had them all baptised; I thought they should make up their own minds and, if the RCC was the One True Church, they would find their own way there as adults. They are all atheist, and bringing up their children as atheists. :-D}}}

{{{Posted by: The Once And Future Janine, OM | January 18, 2011 8:20 PM

Tigger, there is a reason why the hierarchy tried to keep news like this under wraps. It made it easier to keep intelligent and decent people like you on their side and under control.}}}

{{{Posted by: Tigger_the_Wing | January 18, 2011 8:30 PM

@ Janine,

It worked, didn’t it? 😦

How do I get rid of the residual guilt that keeps gnawing at me, even though I know it was imposed on me as a child and has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I ever did?

After physical and sexual child abuse, I think the most evil doctrine of the church is that of original sin. It is all-pervasive. It is insidious mind-control. Even after reasoning myself into atheism, with the help of Pharyngulites and others, the guilt still surfaces like a waking nightmare.}}}

{{{Posted by: The Once And Future Janine, OM | January 18, 2011 8:43 PM

I wish I knew how to answer that question. I would actually be able to help people if I could. But you know that it was a belief that was imposed on you when you did not know better. I guess you have to keep telling yourself that until, hopefully, the day comes when even that nagging guilt is left behind.

I wish I had a better answer.}}}

2. Pingback: Universal Excuses

3. I am even more disgusted with the Roman Catholic Church than ever! Why? Because of this:

This is a website based in Ireland telling people how to leave the Church. However……

Suspension of the Defection Process

In April of this year, the Catholic Church modified the Code of Canon Law to remove all references to the act of formal defection, the process used by those who wish to formally renounce their membership of the Church.

Since then, the Catholic Church in Ireland has been reflecting on the implications of this change for those who wish to leave the Catholic Church. Despite our requests for clarification, the Church have yet to reach a firm position on how or whether they will continue to accept requests for the annotation of the baptismal register.

In recent weeks we have been contacted by an increasing number of people whose defections have not been processed, due to the limbo created by this canon law amendment.

Because of this uncertainty, we have taken the decision to suspend the creation of declarations of defection via CountMeOut.ie from today (12th October 2010).

In response to this, the Church in Ireland released the following statement to RTE News:

The Holy See confirmed at the end of August that it was introducing changes to Canon Law and as a result it will no longer be possible to formally defect from the Catholic Church. This will not alter the fact that many people can defect from the Church, and continue to do so, albeit not through a formal process. This is a change that will affect the Church throughout the world. The Archdiocese of Dublin plans to maintain a register to note the expressed desire of those who wish to defect. Details will be communicated to those involved in the process when they are finalised. Last year 229 people formally defected from the Church through the Archdiocese of Dublin. 312 have done so, so far this year.

Look, you do not need permission of the Catholic Church to leave it. To even bother to go through any “”Declaration of Defection” process is to acknowledge the authority of the Church over you. Just stop attending Mass, publicly declare yourself no longer Catholic, and that’s it!

If you were baptised as a Catholic you are still counted among the congregation of the church, regardless of what beliefs you currently hold.

Which is, of course a grievous lie! And you can publicly and loudly condemn the Church for this.

Go here to send messages of condemnation as well:

4. Pingback: Another reason to despise the Catholic Church! « Dale Husband's Intellectual Rants