Take a look at this “Statement of Faith” on a Creationist website:
- The scientific aspects of creation are important, but are secondary in importance to the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as Sovereign, Creator, Redeemer and Judge.
- The doctrines of Creator and Creation cannot ultimately be divorced from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- The 66 books of the Bible are the written Word of God. The Bible is divinely inspired and inerrant throughout. Its assertions are factually true in all the original autographs. It is the supreme authority, not only in all matters of faith and conduct, but in everything it teaches. Its authority is not limited to spiritual, religious or redemptive themes but includes its assertions in such fields as history and science.
- The final guide to the interpretation of Scripture is Scripture itself.
- The account of origins presented in Genesis is a simple but factual presentation of actual events and therefore provides a reliable framework for scientific research into the question of the origin and history of life, mankind, the Earth and the universe.
- The various original life forms (kinds), including mankind, were made by direct creative acts of God. The living descendants of any of the original kinds (apart from man) may represent more than one species today, reflecting the genetic potential within the original kind. Only limited biological changes (including mutational deterioration) have occurred naturally within each kind since Creation.
- The great Flood of Genesis was an actual historic event, worldwide (global) in its extent and effect.
- The special creation of Adam (the first man) and Eve (the first woman), and their subsequent fall into sin, is the basis for the necessity of salvation for mankind.
- Death (both physical and spiritual) and bloodshed entered into this world subsequent to, and as a direct consequence of, man’s sin.
- The Godhead is triune: one God, three Persons—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- All mankind are sinners, inherently from Adam and individually (by choice) and are therefore subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- Freedom from the penalty and power of sin is available to man only through the sacrificial death and shed blood of Jesus Christ, and His complete and bodily Resurrection from the dead.
- The Holy Spirit enables the sinner to repent and believe in Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Spirit lives and works in each believer to produce the fruits of righteousness.
- Salvation is a gift received by faith alone in Christ alone and expressed in the individual’s repentance, recognition of the death of Christ as full payment for sin, and acceptance of the risen Christ as Saviour, Lord and God.
- All things necessary for our salvation are set down in Scripture.
- Jesus Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.
- Jesus Christ rose bodily from the dead, ascended to Heaven, is currently seated at the right hand of God the Father, and shall return in like manner to this Earth as Judge of the living and the dead.
- Satan is the personal spiritual adversary of both God and man.
- Those who do not believe in Christ are subject to everlasting conscious punishment, but believers enjoy eternal life with God.
The following are held by members of the Boards (Directors) of Creation Ministries International to be either consistent with Scripture or implied by Scripture:
- Scripture teaches a recent origin for man and the whole creation.
- The days in Genesis do not correspond to geologic ages, but are six  consecutive twenty-four  hour days of Creation.
- The Noachian Flood was a significant geological event and much (but not all) fossiliferous sediment originated at that time.
- The ‘gap’ theory has no basis in Scripture. Nor has the day-age idea (so-called ‘progressive creation’), or the Framework Hypothesis or theistic evolution.
- The view, commonly used to evade the implications or the authority of Biblical teaching, that knowledge and/or truth may be divided into ‘secular’ and ‘religious’, is rejected.
- By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information.
Here are my answers to their claims.
A1: This is completely backwards. To find truth, you must assume nothing about religion and look at the physical evidence of the universe itself. Con artists can always make up religions out of nothing, but no one but the real Creator God can make the universe and the physical and chemical laws that govern it.
A2: This is a dogma that is not necessarily true, since it is possible that Jesus’ teachings can be followed without any references to the creation stories of Genesis. There is no explicit statement from Jesus himself claiming otherwise.
B1: This is idolatry, pure and simple. The Bible is not God and God is not the Bible. NOTHING made by man can approach the glory of God.
B2: Circular reasoning, and therefore useless as a guide to finding objective truth. There are other scriptures that contradict the Bible. How should they be judged? If their followers also use the same circular reasoning, the conflict between them and Bible-beleivers would never end.
B3: “Factual”? No, because a fact is a confirmed observation. There are NO confirmed observations in Genesis, only dogmas.
B4: This would make sense only if a mechanism could be identified to limit the genetic variations within lines of organisms and the limits themselves were clearly specified. Creationists have never done this.
B5: There is NO evidence for the flood of Noah. Claims to such evidence are always distortions of the actual evidence for an old Earth and evolution.
B6: What about the simple fact that humans have free will and this are prone to sin, whether they descended from a pair of humans created by God or from apelike animals that changed over millions of years? This claim is entirely baseless.
B7: Total nonsense. Death is not “evil”; it is essential to recycle the forms of life so they can evolve. If nothing ever died, life on Earth would stop evolving and we would have a static world. Only an immature person would think of death as evil and prefer a static world. A mature person accepts death as the natural end of life and a dynamic world as a source of discovery.
C1: God does not have a multiple personality disorder. The Jews said so, and the Christians should have been consistent.
C2: If God is so intolerant of free will, he should have made us into robots. And why would an all-powerful God want to condemn those who sin, if he cannot be threatened by man’s sin? He must be a very weak and cowardly God.
C3: So God is no better than the Aztecs? And how can the temporary death of one God-man compensate for the eternal condemnation of billions of people that would otherwise have happened? That is like expecting a penny paid by the federal government to bail out an industry that is billions of dollars in debt.
C4: What Christians call “the Holy Spirit” may only be a product of indoctrination and conditioning of the sort you find in the followers of any religion.
C5: Same as C4.
C6: These are the teachings of Paul, who was not even an original desciple of Jesus. Jesus often taught just the opposite, that you had to work your way into heaven.
C7: Wrong. There is no cure or vaccine for AIDS in scripture, for example.
C8: Christian dogma, excluding all non-Christians. If you want Creationism to be “scientific” why mention this at all? If it is not scientific, why were attempts made to force it into science classes?
C9: Same as C8
C10: As sadistic as God seems to be in the Bible, one must wonder if he and Satan are actually one and the same.
C11: See C2.
D1: See point A1
D2: Unfounded dogma, based on an immature reading of scripture.
D3: Nonsense. A single and global flood would have produced fossil beds that were chaotic in nature and we would not even be able to determine what “periods” they lived in. The consistent order we find the fossils show that they were buried in millions of local floods.
D4: See point A1 again.
D5: You and Osama Bin Ladin have a lot in common, then.
D6: See point A1 once more.