And here’s how I would do it:
- Abolish the Electoral College. Presidential candidates should be elected only by direct popular vote.
- Abolish primaries. Let all candidates of all parties go directly to the general election, provided they get a certain number of petition signatures in every state.
- Eliminate the Senate and thus make the U.S. Congress a unicameral body. The term length in the U. S. Congress should be four years, rather than two. The membership of Congress should be 1000.
- Forbid state legislatures from drawing and approving Congressional and state legislative districts. Only federal courts should do that.
- Allow voters to cast a vote for as many candidates as they wish in the general election at all levels and positions, instead of being forced to choose only one.
- Require that the Presidential candidate that gets the second most votes become Vice-President.
- Make Presidential terms four years long and make Presidential elections at the same years as Congressional elections.
- Impose term limits on Congressmen; they should be allowed to serve no longer than 16 years (four terms).
- Make electronic ballots illegal; only paper ballots should be counted in all elections.