Opposing Views is a website that generally presents different opinions on various topics and allows its users to debate them freely. So it was a surprise to see the Creationist propaganda mill known as Answers in Genesis publish this rank nonsense for all to see on that site:
The idiotic remarks made there will be in red and my responses will be in green.
Are you tired of all the evil associated with the philosophy of atheism—Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and so on?
1. What evil? Atheism is simply rejection of Theism. There is no moral viewpoint, or even lack thereof, implied in that. What dictators do is about the nature of dictatorships, but many atheists have a libertarian point of view that rejects anything remotely resembling dictatorships over their lives.
After all, most murderers, tyrants, and rapists are not biblical Christians, and most have rejected the God of the Bible. Even if they claim to believe in the God of the Bible, they are not really living like a true Christ follower (who strives to follow God’s Word), are they?
2. Assumes facts not in evidence. What about those anti-abortion fanatics who attack and even murder abortion doctors and others to express their bigotry? Are they atheists? And history is full of tyrants who were Christians or Muslims in the past, including some Popes!
Do you feel conflicted about the fact that atheism has no basis in morality (i.e., no absolute right and wrong; no good, no bad?) If someone stabs you in the back, treats you like nothing, steals from you, or lies to you, it doesn’t ultimately matter in an atheistic worldview where everything and everyone are just chemical reactions doing what chemicals do. And further, knowing that you are essentially no different from a cockroach in an atheistic worldview (since people are just animals) must be disheartening.
3. Strawman. Atheists do not restrict themselves by Biblical or other religious dogmas or moral teachings. What they do is create moral codes that reflect the present-day needs of real people, not the commands of some supposed god or gods that came from thousands of years ago. The social instinct we have as animals is the basis for our morals.
Are you tired of the fact that atheism (which is based in materialism, a popular worldview today) has no basis for logic and reasoning?
4. Outright lie. In reality, it is logic and reasoning that lead many people to become atheists when they were previously religious.
Is it tough trying to get up every day thinking that truth, which is immaterial, really doesn’t exist?
5. There is no basis for this claim about atheists. It applies much more to religious bigots who assume their dogmas are true but never produce empirical evidence for them.
Are you bothered by the fact that atheism cannot account for uniformity in nature (the basis by which we can do real science)?
6. It is not meant to.
Why would everything explode from nothing and, by pure chance, form beautiful laws like E=MC2 or F=MA?
7. Maybe scientists will find out someday. Assuming that an God whose existence is himself unconfirmed must have set those laws in motion explains nothing.
Do you feel like you need a weekend to recoup, even though a weekend is really meaningless in an atheistic worldview—since animals, like bees, don’t take a day of rest or have a weekend? So why should atheists? Why borrow a workweek and weekend that comes from the pages of Scriptures, which are despised by atheists? Weeks and weekends come from God creating in six literal days and resting for a literal day; and then the Lord Jesus resurrected on the first day of the week (Sunday). And why look forward to time off for a holiday (i.e., holy day), when nothing is holy in an atheistic worldview?
8. It may be that the ancient social traditions were made up originally to be a binding aspect to the society and then they were codified in religious dogma, but the traditions can function without the specific dogmas if they are still useful to most people.
For professing atheists, these questions can be overwhelming to make sense of within their worldview. And further, within an atheistic worldview, atheists must view themselves as God. Essentially, atheists are claiming to be God. Instead of saying there may not be a God, they say there is no God. To make such a statement, they must claim to be omniscient, which is an essential attribute of the God of the Bible) among other attributes of God as well.1 So, by saying there is no God, the atheist refutes his own position by addressing the question as though he or she were God!
9. Bull$#it! Concluding there is no God because of the lack of evidence for His existence and the overwhelming evidence of fraud in religion, is a perfectly natural thing to do. What about all those people who claim to know God’s will? Aren’t THEY the ones claiming God’s omniescence?
Do you feel conflicted about proselytizing the faith of atheism, since if atheism were true then who cares about proselytizing?
10. Atheists spend much of their time debunking false claims by religious bigots like the ones who run……Answers in Genesis. In a free society, they do not need to proselytize.
Let’s face it, life seems tough enough as an atheist without having to deal with other major concerns like not having a basis to wear clothes, or no basis for marriage, no consistent reason to be clean (snails don’t wake up in the morning and clean themselves or follow other cleanliness guidelines based on Levitical laws), and no objective reason to believe in love.
11. See point 8 above.
Are you weary of looking for evidence that contradicts the Bible’s account of creation and finding none?Do the assumptions and inconsistencies of dating methods weigh on your conscience when they are misrepresented as fact? Where do you suppose those missing links have gone into hiding? Surely the atheist sees the folly and hopelessness of believing that everything came from nothing.
12. These are simply more outright lies. Indeed, Creationists CANNOT defend their beliefs without lying at some point.
In fact, why would an atheist care to live one moment longer in a broken universe where one is merely rearranged pond scum and all you have to look forward to is . . . death, which can be around any corner? And in 467 trillion years, no one will care one iota about what you did or who you were or how and when you died—because death is the ultimate “hero” in an atheistic, evolutionary worldview. Of course, as a Christian I disagree, and I have a basis to see you as having value.
13. Since we humans live an average lifespan of about 70 years, it is appropriate to be concerned about what may happen over the course of the next century of so and deal with that. That argument above is completely without merit.
The rest of that essay is just more dogmatic assertions backed up by Biblical references. It is a laughable pile of crap, nothing more.