PZ Myers fan here!

I am a regular reader of the blog by PZ Myers, a biologist and associate professor at the University of Minnesota, Morris.

One of his latest postings, and some of the comments following it, made me nearly die laughing! Myers slams one of his Creationist opponents and the punchlines from his fans just kept coming in!

The comments I especially like include:

I think the surest sign that Armitage is horrible at science is the fact that you critiqued one of his papers and he essentially offers his CV as a defense. An actual scientist would realize that each paper is either good or bad on its own merit, not his. I don’t care if he found a grand unified theory, that paper was garbage, and it deserves no respect because he may have published real research before.

Posted by: Jim RL | April 5, 2008 11:18 AM

I never cease to be amused by the number of times that these creo-drones mistake your giddy amusement with being lividly angry. I’d hate to see these people at a comedy show. “Hello 911! The man next to me is smiling from ear to ear and clutching his sides in laughter! I’m almost certain he’s about to kill someone in his blind rage!”

Posted by: HumanisticJones | April 5, 2008 11:37 AM

Putrid Zany (you KNOW we’re going to call you that from now on), I didn’t know you had converted to paganism! What form, if I may ask? Which of the many sets of recognized deistic pantheons do you believe in, or are you a monotheistic (with or without the dual/male-female nature)?

Apparently, if you’re not Christian, it doesn’t matter what you are – pagans and atheists are equally bad.

Posted by: Seamyst | April 5, 2008 12:14 PM

But don’t be angry – Paul said to count it all joy when men (pagans?) revile you.

No, it was just men… because NOBODY liked Paul. On one memorable occasion, a governor (I forget of what place) kept him in prison as a favor to the Jews and the Christians. One has the impression that both appreciated it.

This is just another example of how Paul ruined Xianity. Without Paul, there would at least be a core doctrine that was moderately respectable. Without Paul, we wouldn’t have to deal with a lot of the crap that we do. It was Paul that contradicted the words of Christ so as to suggest that any form of biblical literalism could be warranted. Paul is entirely responsible for the punitive attitude toward sex and contraception (along with Augustine), and for the mess with the gays.

One can almost think that Paul was thinking, “Gosh, I sure hate those Xians. How can I totally screw up their religion? I know! I’ll pretend to convert!”

Ever gotten into an argument with one of those “God hates Gays/Libertines/Shellfish/Etc” street preachers? Try challenging them to quote something from the new testament that isn’t Paul. They can’t find anything. Nothing, bupkis. They’re going on Leviticus and Corinthians.

Gawd. Paul. He’s comparing himself to Paul. How… surprisingly apt.

Posted by: lytefoot | April 5, 2008 12:17 PM

“Also, he can’t even tell an atheist from a pagan?”

Having been part of that life at one point, I know that “pagan” is the catch-all word many fundamentalist Christians use to describe people who are not “saved.” Doesn’t matter of they’re describing an atheist, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist or what have you — they’re all “pagans.” (Among the real hardcore fundies, even Catholics and Mormons are pagans.)

Posted by: Phil | April 5, 2008 12:17 PM

You’ve got to love the continual presentation of his credentials like a cat dropping a dead rat at your feet.

So impressive too, an M.S. AND an Ed.S. from the prestigious Institute for Creation Research Graduate School. Worthy to be added to every email. I expect he has it embroidered on his underpants too.

Posted by: Quidam | April 5, 2008 12:31 PM

The all men revile you thing is Matthew 5:11.

I’ve long since stopped being surprised when people who throw bible quotes around actually have only the vaguest idea of what is in the damn thing.

Posted by: Don | April 5, 2008 12:54 PM

The books about astronomy,
Like Acts and Deutoronomy,
Are but a partial list of those in which I have reliance.
Biology’s dependent on
The First and Second books of John
And Genesis and Exodus? There’s nothing there but science.
The physicist who never fudges
Follows Joshua and Judges;
Daniel and Ezekiel show molar calculations.
In First and Second Timothy,
Electron-scan microscopy
Completes the compound microscopic treatment in Galatians.
The Chronicles of Higher Ed–
Both First and Second, which I’ve read,
Confirm for me the value of an honest education.
An education such as this,
That starts, of course, in Genesis,
And doesn’t give a Ph. D. ’til after Revelation.

Posted by: Cuttlefish, OM | April 5, 2008 2:31 PM

“Jesus is like my scanning electron microscope.”
So, your scanning electron microscope exists only in your imagination then, right?

Posted by: Milo Johnson | April 5, 2008 3:20 PM

I’m still laughing, so I’ll just publish this and then lie down while my sides continue to ache!

Advertisements